Research facilities available in the group
The major research facilities available in the group includes: Proximate analyzer (TGA, Leco); CHN analyzer (TruSpec, Leco); Sulphur analyzer ( S144 DR, Leco); Gas Chromatograph for Toxic Gases, Hydrocarbons (Aliphatic & PAHs) Analysis; Heating Microscope for Ash Fusion Temperature Range; Calorific Value Determinator (AC350, Leco); Stack Sampler; Particulate sampler (SPM, PM10, PM2.5); Thermal analyzer (TGA-DTA-DSC); Thermal Mechanical Analyser (TMA), UV-VIS-NIR Spectrophotometer, Oxidation Stability, High Temperature Gel Permeation Chromatography (HT-GPC), Carbon residue tester, Flash Point Apparatus, Diamond DSC, MCR302 Rheometer, MCR500 Rheometer, High temperature High Pressure Reactor (Berghof), High temperature High Pressure Reactor (Amar), Cloud Point Apparatus, Syncore Reactor (Buchi) - Polymerization reactions, Flash point apparatus (Seta) – Petroleum testing, Karl Fischer Titrator (Mettler) – petroleum Testing, Automatic Distillation Unit (Autodist) – Petroleum Testing Ion Chromatography; Ion Chromatography; Microwave digester; Flue gas analyser; High temperature furnace systems; Coal quality control laboratory; High pressure reactor; Coal Gasifier; Pilot plant; non-recovery coke oven; crusher; ball mill etc.
Niche Areas of the group with details of available latest technologies, expertise etc
The northeast region (NER) Indian coals are considered unique because their physico-chemical characteristics and behaviour do not commensurate with properties adopted for rank classification like other coals in the World. They are mostly classified as sub-bituminous in rank. The group members have versatile expertise on value addition of NER low-quality coals, desulphurization of coal, coke-making in non-recovery coke ovens, management of acid mine drainage, Humic acid from non caking coals, sulphur and smokeless briquettes/nodules from high sulphur, high volatiles coals and coal fines, green methods of coal beneficiation, nano-mineralogy and nano-geochemistry of coals, coal-derived carbon nano-materials etc. Few of the process developed are:
- Non-recovery coke ovens
- Desulphurization of coal, coal-derived oils, gases
- Management of Acid Mine Drainage
- Humic acid from non caking coals
- Sulfur-less and smokeless briquettes/nodules from high sulfur, high volatiles coals and coal fines
- Green process for beneficiation of high sulfur NER coals
- Management of Acid Mine Drainage from coal mining.
- Biodegradable polymers and bio composites from renewable resources.
- Advanced polyolefins via ATRP and r-ATRP (Tailor made)
- Environmental friendly biodegradable base oils stock from non-edible vegetable oils for industrial use
- Phase inversion of a water-in-crude oil emulsion
- Water soluble polymers / copolymers for enhanced oil recovery
- Polymeric pour point depressants