|Name||:||Dr Binoy K Saikia|
|Contact Details||:||Coal Chemistry Division, CSIR-North East institute of Science & Technology, Jorhat-785006, Assam, India|
|Email id||:||firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com|
- Clean Coal Technology
- Value Addition to Low-grade Coals/Minerals
- Nano-mineralogy and Nano-geochemistry
- Carbon Nanomaterials and their Application
- Environmental and risk assessment
- Clean coal initiatives for northeast Indian coals (Funded by CSIR)
- Probing the Changing Atmosphere and its Impacts in Indo-Gangetic Plains (IGP) and Himalayan Regions (AImIGPHim) (Funded by CSIR)
- Environment friendly measures of disposal and recovery of solid deposit for the strainers and other sources of crude oil pumping station and pipe-lines (DIRESCOP).
- Gradation of NE Indian Coals. (Funded by CSIR)
- NCAP-WGIII: Carbonaceous Aerosol Emissions, Source Apportionment and Climate Effects (Funded by MoEFCC))
- Coal Resource Quality Assessment Centre and Coal Quality Control Laboratory (Testing and Evaluation)
- Pilot Plants for Low-grade Coal Beneficiation, Combustion, Non-recovery Coke Ovens, Briquetting and Nodulization machineries (Process development)
List of Publications (Most Recent Ten)
Total No. of Publications: 53
- Nanominerals, fullerene aggregates, and hazardous elements in coal and coal combustion-generated aerosols: An environmental and toxicological assessment, Jyotilima Saikia, Bardwi Narzary, Sonali Roy, Manobjyoti Bordoloi, Prasenjit Saikia, Binoy K. Saikia, Chemosphere, Volume 164, 2016, 84–91 (Impact Factor: 3.698)
- Thermal behaviour of low-rank Indian coal fines agglomerated with an organic binder, Tonkeswar Das, Bimala P. Baruah, Binoy K. Saikia, Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry, 2016 (DOI: 10.1007/s10973-016-5564-x) (IF: 1.781)
- Formation of onion-like fullerene and chemically converted graphene-like nanosheets from low-quality coals: application in photocatalytic degradation of 2-nitrophenol, T Das, P K Boruah, M R Das, B K Saikia, RSc Advances 2016, 6, 35177-35190 (Impact Factor: 3.8).
- Formation of carbon nano-balls and carbon nano-tubes from northeast Indian Tertiary coal: value added products from low grade coal, Tonkeswar Das, Binoy K Saikia, Bimala P Baruah, Gondwana Research, 31 (2016) 295–304 (DOI: 10.1016/j.gr.2015.01.012) (IF: 8.235).
- Elemental geochemistry and mineralogy of coals and associated coal mine overburden from Makum coalfield (northeast India), Binoy K Saikia, Ananya Saikia, Panpan Xie, Jingjing Liu, Tonkeswar Das, Hari P Dekaboruah, Environmental Earth Science, 2016, 75 (8), 1-21 (IF: 1.765).
- Native hydrocarbonoclastic bacteria and hydrocarbon mineralization processes, Reshita Baruah, Dipakjyoti Kalita, Anil K Singh, Binoy K Saikia, Arvind Gautam, H P Dekaboruah, International Biodeterioration and Biodegradation, 2016, 112, 18-30 (IF: 2.131)
- Effective removal of sulfur components from Brazilian power-coals by ultrasonication in presence of H2O2, Binoy K Saikia, Adilson C. Dalmora, Rahul Choudhury, Tonkeswar Das, Silvio R. Taffarel, Luis F.O. Silva, Ultrasonic Sonochemistry, 32 (2016) 147–157 (IF: 4.321)
- A multi-analytical study on the sulphur components in some high sulphur Indian Tertiary coals, Rahul Choudhury, Upendra N Gupta, Frans B. Waanders, Binoy K Saikia, Arabian Journal of Geosciences, 2016, 9 (2), 1-13 (DOI 10.1007/s12517-015-2178-8) (IF: 1.224).
- Petrological and biological studies on some fly and bottom ashes collected at different times from an Indian coal-based captive power plant, Saikia, Binoy K., James C. Hower, Madison M. Hood, Reshita Baruah, Hari P. Dekaboruah, Ratan Boruah, Arpita Sharma, and Bimala P. Baruah. Fuel 158 (2015), 572-581 (IF: 3.520).
- Ambient air quality and emission characteristics in and around a non-recovery type coke oven using high sulphur coal, Saikia, Jyotilima, Prasenjit Saikia, Ratan Boruah, and Binoy K. Saikia. Science of The Total Environment 530 (2015): 304-313 (IF: 4.099).
Published as Book/Boor chapters
- Binoy K Saikia, A Saikia, B P Baruah, Nature and Chemistry of Coal and Its Products, In: Coal Production and Processing Technology", CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, UK. (ISBN 9781482252170)
- Binoy K Saikia, B P Baruah, Chemical desulphurization and deashing of high organic sulphur Indian coals, In Energy Science and Technology: Coal Energy (Vol.2) (Eds: Sharma, Prasad and Sivakumar), 2015, Studium Press LLC. (ISBN: 1-62699-061-1 / 1-62699-063-8).
- Binoy K Saikia, Rajani K Boruah, X-Ray Structural Analysis of Some Indian Coals, Proceedings of the International Conference on Neutron and X-Ray Scattering-2009; American Institute of Physics (AIP) Conference Proceedings, 2010, Volume 1202, pp. 112-116; ISBN: 978-0-7354-0739-8
- B P Baruah, Binoy K Saikia, Pranjal Gogoi, P Kotoky, P G Rao, Acid Mine Drainage in Indian coal Industry, Proc. Of International seminar on Mineral Processing Technology, (MPT-04), 2004, RRL, Bhubneswar, India, p809-817; ISBN: 81-7764-599-4
- Binoy K Saikia, Some Aspects of Structural Investigation of Assam (India) Coal, LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing, Germany, 2010; ISBN: 978-3838392790
Awards and Fellowships
- Dr R P Bhatnagar Award (2015-16) for outstanding contribution to Mineral Beneficiation by MGMI.
- IIME Coal Beneficiation Award (Academic/Industry) 2015 by Indian Institute of Mineral Engineers.
- Best paper award in the category of “Award for Honorable Mention Technical Paper” in International Pittsburgh Coal Conference, University of Pittsburgh, PA, USA during 5-8 October 2015.
- Mineral Engineering Science Association of India (MESA) award -2014
- Recipient of Rajiv Gandhi Excellence Award-2012 from Union Minister of Coal, Govt. of India initiated by Seemapuri Times, A National News Magazine based in Luchnow.
- Young Scientist Award from International Union for Crystallography during International Conference on Neutron and X-ray Scattering 2009 (ICNX 2009) in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Nomination for Young Engineer Award, Senior Engineers Forum, Greater Guwahati in 2012.
- Selected for Assam Education Service (AES) by Assam Public Service Commission, Guwahati (2010).
Fellowships and memberships
- Fellow of Geological Society of India (FGS)
- Life Member of Mining Geological and Metallurgical Institute of India (MGMI)
- Fellow of Institution of Chemist (India), 2011, Institution of Chemist, Dr. Biresh Gohel Road, Kolkota, India.
- Qualified in National Eligibility Test for Junior Research Fellow Examination (Chemical Sciences) organized by CSIR-UGC in 2003-2004
- Affiliate Member of Institution of Chemical Engineers (UK).
- Active Member of International Centre for Diffraction Data (ICDD), USA.
- Life member of Indian Institute of Mineral Engineers.
- Life member of Indian Crystallographic Association, India.
- Life Member of Assam Science Society, India.
- Member of International X-ray Absorption Society, Italy.
- Member of Indian Science Congress Association.
Editors of Journals
- Editorial board member of International Journal Oil, Gas and Coal Technology (Inderscience publisher).
- Guest Editor and Editorial board member of International Journal of Coal Science & Technology (Springer).
- Consulting Editor of Energy and Emission Control Technologies. (Dove Medical Press)
- Associate Editor of “REVISTA DE CIENCIAS AMBIENTAIS”, an electronic biannual Journal in English and Portuguesa published from Brazil.
- Editorial board member of International Journal of Geology, Earth and Environmental Sciences.
- Recognized Reviewer of reputed and SCI Journals in the area of Coal, Energy and Fuel such as Fuel, Energy & Fuel, Environmental Science & Technology, Fuel Processing Technology, Powder Technology, Ultrasonics Sonochemistry etc.
- Certificate of appreciation by American Chemical Society (ACS) for the contribution to the American Chemical Society journals, USA during 2011-12.
- Certificate of appreciation by Academic Journals, Nigeria for the contribution and services during 2010-12.
- Selected for inclusion in the Marquis Who's Who in the World-2009-2012, USA.
Invited Guest/Invited Talk/Invited Expert/Radio Talk
- Act as Resource Person in National Children Science Congress (Jorhat district) in the area of Energy.
- Invited talk on “Coal-derived Nano-structured Materials: A new avenue” at Kaziranga University, Jorhat on 02/06/2016
- Invited talk on “Clean Coal Technology Initiatives at CSIR-NEIST, Jorhat”, In: Continuing Education Programme (CEP) at DRL, Tezpur on 12 November 2014.
- Participated as Expert in “Scientist Face to face to school children” at National Children Science Congress-2014, Doomdooma Girls High School, Assam.
- Participated as Expert in “Scientist Face to face to School children” at Science motivational program 26-31 May 2014, CSIR-NEIST, Jorhat, Assam
- Participated as Expert to evaluate the science projects (Senior & Junior) submitted to Kendriya Vidyalaya (KV)-Regional level Science Congress under ‘National Children Science Congress’ (NCSC-2012) held at KV-Cinnamora, Jorhat on 05/11/2012
- Participated as Expert to evaluate the science projects (Senior & Junior) submitted ‘National Children Science Congress’ (NCSC-2015) of Jorhat district held at Kakodonga, Jorhat.
- Radio talk on “coal and environment issues” in All India Radio, Jorhat.